Yesterday was the first day of Winter. The Holidays are here. And in So. Cal, it's raining - A LOT.
Although Belle and Sebastian have been around since 1996 with great success, they are not a heavy radio airplay band, but were on the 2008 Juno Soundtrack with one of their popular hits PIAZZA NEW YORK CATCHER off their 2003 album DEAR CATASTROPHE WAITRESS (my favorite album). Check it out below with it's quirky lyrics :
And for the piece de resistance video footage: NPR live stream of yesterday's Belle and Sebastian Holiday Spectacular concert from Glasgow. They played a couple holiday tunes, their biggest hits, plus songs off their new album. Not only is the show awesome, fans checked in from around the globe to watch - Brazil, Spain, US, Germany... We were a cozy community of fans watching over breakfast, late in the evening, or from our desks at work during the lunch hour. I unfortunately cannot embed it, but to watch the show, click here. Thanks NPR!
And now on to the soup recipe (Makes 10 servings so half this if you like. I used 2/3.). As fair warning, this soup takes at least 2.5 hours to make, but it is well worth it.
Butternut Squash, Wild Rice, Sausage Soup
Here is what you need:
- 2 medium butternut squash, about 3 to 4 pounds, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch chunks (I used one 2 pounder). For instructions on how to cut up a butternut squash since my previous 10/7 post below.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 12 cups chicken stock (I used 8)
- 2 1/2 cups chopped onions (I used one small yellow onion)
- 1 cup wild rice (I used 3/4) (Soak the rice and use 3:1 liquid to rice ratio)
- 3/4 lb. smoked sausage, cut into 1/4-inch pieces (I used 1/2 lb. Use turkey or veggie sausage if you like)